If advancing the state of the art of distributed computing in an academic environment interests you, the Center for High Throughput Computing (CHTC) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW) offers a unique working environment. Our project’s home is in the UW Department of Computer Sciences, an internationally recognized department consistently ranked in the top ten across the USA. A position with CHTC will provide you the opportunity to interact with both department faculty and students to translate novel ideas into real-world solutions. The software and infrastructure you will be working on is used by scientists and engineers at hundreds of institutions, from universities to national laboratories and from large high tech corporations to small animation teams.
The CHTC is home to a large distributed campus infrastructure that helps scientists on and off campus advance their research. We also develop the HTCondor Software for managing large-scale distributed computing, which we refer to as high-throughput distributed computing. HTCondor powers the CHTC and is used by scientists and businesses around the world. We are involved in many collaborations, including (but not limited to) The Open Science Grid.
Full Time Positions
Details about our open full-time positions are typically provided below. Positions pertaining to "HTCondor" and "CHTC" search terms can also be found on the University's Position Vacancy List (PVL).
Graduate Student Research and Project Assistantship (RA, PA) Openings
Interested graduate students should contact Professor Livny directly to inquire about working with the project.
In addition to positions within the CHTC, other departments and centers on the UW campus regularly hire people to work with HTCondor. Searching for "HTCondor" in the link above, may turn up full-time CHTC-related jobs in other departments
The University of Wisconsin-Madison is a great place to work. You can read about the benefits in detail elsewhere. In short, we have five weeks of vacation/personal time per year, very good health insurance (and cost effective for entire families), and a good retirement plan. Please note that the minimum salary in our job listings are just that - the minimum. Compensation will increase with experience.
In addition to the official benefits, there are many side benefits:
- You will work with the CHTC team. We are world leaders in solving interesting distributed computing problems!
- You can attend interesting talks in the department
- Relatively flexible working hours — we value work-life balance.
- A Discounted Bus Pass!
- You get staff access to the Union, the UW athletic facilities, and the UW library system.
- We're in a lively neighborhood with great restaurants in easy walking distance.
If you are interested in a position with CHTC, explore the job listings below! If you would like to apply, send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, and indicate which job you would like to apply for.
- A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.
- A period of evaluation will be required.
- UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.